[TenTec] possible power supply for Herc II?

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Thu Aug 6 22:54:27 PDT 2009

> The Herc II will hit rated power with less than 70A. That suggests a
> single Astron rated for 70A should work just fine.

Maybe so. The number in print in my Hercules II manual is 80 Amperes.
Just beware that the model number and the amperage ratings of Astron
(and other)
 power supplies are often not one and the same thing.
Astron says that their RS-70 can deliver 57 Amperes continuous and 70
Amps ICAS
> The Herc II is happiest if it sees something close to 14VDC, because it
> requires less current to hit rated power.

If you are using a power supply that cannot deliver the full current
necessary, and you are using a battery to provide the current during
transmit, then you will not want to set the power supply voltage to a
value that will over charge the battery, if you are simply paralleling
the output of the power supply with the battery and the load (amplifier).

73, Ken N6KB