[TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2

pfizenmayer pfizenmayer2 at q.com
Sat Aug 29 20:08:35 PDT 2009

The headphone output IC in the OII is a stereo IC LM4811. I measured about
2.75 ohms output impedance  at the headphone jack before I installed the RF
filter . The RF filter in later OII's and the board that TenTec supplies has
surface mount ferrite loaded inductors and the total series resistance in
each lead is about 24 ohms.So output Z is about 27 ohms each side.

14060 MHz  50 uv in to RX Antenna.(essentially S9) Spot Tone 400 hz ,
Sidetone
set at 100 (max) . Received signal output level set to comfortable headphone
level.(Approximately half of the audio bar level readout with my phones)

ver 2.037j firmware . I have not measured the latest beta.

OPEN CIRCUIT             LEFT MAIN        RIGHT MAIN

set for comfortable        55.1 mv        55.5 mv
level (approx 1/2 bar)

SPOT                      101.8 mv        102 mv

CW SIdetone               50.7 mv         51.0 mv

NO signal                 3.7 mv           3.7 mv
residual noise

So from the above with about 27 ohms source impedance , you can deduce what
the level will be with various phones.

I use Sony MDR V6 phones which are about 70 ohm drivers and not very
sensitive (I cannot remmember the spec right now) and the cw spot tone level
to me is marginal.

With input signal as above S9 , Maximum output level open circuit wide open
1.2 volts RMS , about 3.5 V pk-pk  and no visible clipping  of clipping. All
measurements on a FLuke 179 true RMS meter.

I know of seceral guys who have done what was suggested and they just use
the speaker output with appropriate attenuation. You of course lose the
ability to listen to the sub rx in one ear and the main rx in the other ear
but you solve a whole lot of other issues.

73 de Hank K7HP