[TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Aug 30 11:05:41 PDT 2009

 a complete mobile/portable RTTY
station which consisted of a BC-610, a Hammarlund Super Pro
receiver...  All
of this equipment was mounted in a van on the rear of a 2 1/2 ton
truck.  The truck towed a 10 kw generator and we had plenty of fuel in
another trailer.  We also had a whip antenna mounted on the rear of
the van for quick operation.

There was a whole mobile setup called SCR-299. It is shown in an old
magazine ad or back section of an old Radio Amatuers Handbook that I
have somewhere. The receiver was not a Hammarlund Super-Pro though, it
was something that looked more like a BC-348. I don't doubt what you say
you actually used. I am just saying what I see in the magazine
advertisement by Hallicrafters.

The BC-610 did not use 304TLs. Perhaps someone modified one for them.
The normal tube compliment was a single 250TH in the PA, and a pair of
100TH in the push-pull modulator. I still have a pair of brand new Eimac
100TH in original boxes and packing material that were part of the
spares set for a BC-610 that Bill Barnhill WB6IWD cannibalized.

DE N6KB