[TenTec] Tentec XCVR Keying Loop and Amp Supply Amp Question?

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 4 11:14:32 PST 2009

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:03:33 -0700, Doug Smith wrote:

>I've never been able to key the amp's QSK line with anything with a
>solid state output.

I've had sucess keying rigs and amps that were difficult to key by
pushing the external keying transistor further into saturation. For
example, when keying the rig from a computer on the DTR line, you
use a simple NPN inverter to drive the keying circuit. Simply
lowering the value of the base resistor reduces Vce-sat enough to
key the rig reliably. I had this problem keying an FT1000MP from a
stock Hercules II, and successfully used the same fix in the base of
the transistor that provides key out from the Herc II.

73,

Jim K9YC