[TenTec] computer control of Orion

jack b friend jfriend31 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 12:17:00 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 12:13 -0500, w1dxh at aol.com wrote:
> Anyone using radio operation center digital desktop with the Orion? Any tips in general for setting up computer to talk to the Orion. I am currently using the AEA PK-232MBX FOR FSK RTTY with the Orion and it works great.
>
> tnx 73,
> Steve

NO box necessary for the Orion to communicate with computer. it works
great with the cable supplied plus some changes from RCA to 1/8" stereo
jacks to talk to the sound card in my computer.

LOGic8 in Windows and "xlog" in Ubuntu 9.10 talk with the Orion.

MixW2 in Windows will do all the digital modes i could ever dream of
using.

there are several Linux programs that will do much of what MixW2 will do
but none that will do all of it.

i key CW with the one transistor, one diode and two resistor keying
system shown in MixW2's help files. that works wonderfully.

MixW2 will copy code at speeds far above what i can read (over 35 wpm)
but i know of few such readers in Linux.

i use the settings in the Orion manual and tinker a bit with them for
exacting results.

jack ak7o