[TenTec] TenTec Omni V.9 cpu/pll

Donald L. Schliesser donjan7 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 28 19:41:52 PST 2009

It is not clear to me from your post exactly what is not working.  If
when you say "will not tune" that means when you turn the main tuning
knob the display does not move - show a change in frequency - then the
problem may be a defective encoder.  The encoder is what you are turning
when you turn the main tuning knob.  That happened to my V.

I assume you have tried the normal reset -  the switch is accessible
throuugh the hole on the right side.(power off - push reset button and
hold - power on (after 5 seconds release the button) I assume you have
also tried the Master reset  (remove internal battery on board with cpu,
then with power off - push CLR/CLK and hold - power on and hold button
until you hear two short beeps, one low and one high pitch - after reset
while power is still on replace battery.  This procedure will completely
reset the CPU and clear out any faults it may have.
(Master reset is not in the manual but comes from TT).

When my encoder first started giving me trouble, one of the resets, or
both would fix it for a while, but next time I turned it on it would
happen again.  Finally no amount of resetting would make it work, so I
called Gary Green, Ten-Tec's resident expert on the OMNI V, and he said
it was the encoder.  Ten-Tec sells them for $35 and if you are not
averse to taking the V apart - you must remove the front panel - it is a
relatively easy though a tedious job.

After talking with Gary, I chose to send mine to Ten-Tec since it had
never been there to be updated.  They replaced the encoder, and added a
voltage regulator to the logic board for frequency stability with
different power out.  The mod regulates the oscillator input voltage to
within 1.5v so gives stability.  They also went through all the
alignment including setting all the PLL frequencies and crystal
frequencies. Total cost including parts and labor was $225.

I have done a lot of mods to my V from the tentecwiki.org pages and have
replaced all the electrolytics on the logic board, display driver board
and the IF/AF board with high quality, low impedence,  high frequency,
low ESR caps and that made a HUGE difference in the internal noise of
the receiver.