[TenTec] 238 caps

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:53:42 PST 2009

Instead of doing the tuner cap mod with doorknobs why not simply use
higher v. disk ceramics?  Mouser has 8 KV 470 pF for around 50 cents
each.  You can get four 100 pF 10 KV caps and string them together in
series for the 25 pF on the output for a heck of a lot less than a
doorknob (I say that because that's what I quickly found at mouser to
get 25 pF and high v.).  Plus no probs fitting and mounting them.
Looks to me like the prob. with the stock caps on 160 is that they're
2 KV (probably less on that low a frequency) if I am not mistaken.

I admit I added an extra load padder cap to my Centurion on 160 that
was a doorknob but that was mainly because I had it on hand and there
was room.  I would not want to buy them unless I could get them for a
few bucks each at a hamfest.

73
Rob
K5UJ