[TenTec] Orion at QRP levels

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Wed Feb 4 12:25:00 EST 2009

Jack:  The Power control on the Orion is actually an ALC threshold control,
so as you drop the ALC threshold to hold the power to a lower level, you
should also drop the audio drive level.  5 Watts is 13 dB below 100, so I
would drop the audio down by that amount.  An easier way is to decrease the
level as far as you can while still having the ALC light flash.

That may not be the ultimate reason you got a report of splatter.  Solid
state RF amplifiers are designed to have best efficiency and lowest IMD at
their design power level.  Deviating significantly from that power level can
increase IMD.  The best test is to look at the signal on a spectrum analyzer
using a two-tone test.  I have done this on the Orion II in the 40-100 Watt
range (looks very clean), but never at QRP.  Next time I get a chance, I'll
try that and see what it looks like.

         Ron   N6IE
      www.N6IE.com