[TenTec] Ig drift on Titan 425

Gary Smith Gary at doctorgary.net
Sat Feb 7 15:29:40 EST 2009

> >I believe I have the opposite situation; In a key down state with
> >high output, the IG drifts downward. After a brief moment of no key
> >down, when I transmit, the Ig is so high that the meter will pin or
> >if not pin, the overdrive light is bright. At lower input/output, IE;
> >800W out, the drift is minimal.
>
> Are you using AGC to control the drive level?  You should NOT do that.
> Ten Tec makes a point of this in their manual. ALWAYS set the drive
> level using the power output control of the transceiver that drives it.
> If you use ALC, use it ONLY as fall-back protection in the event that
> something goes wrong.

No, I've not used ALC to control anything, strictly the output power
from the exciter.

I should have added that the frequency I tried that had no issue with
Ig drift was 14 Mhz. I did not try any higher bands or 7MhZ to check
for drift. Using the lower bands I definitely have a major issue with
completely unreliable Ig results.

Gary
KA1J