[TenTec] O2 output level with PSK aux in

Wed Feb 11 08:55:21 EST 2009

My take and experience on digital modes looks at the folks using interface
boxes and those that do not use interface boxes.  I am one that does not use
a interface box but connect the sound card input and output direct to the
radio line input and line output.  No interface is used.  Any of the current
and popular software packages on the computer work the digital modes just
fine and with no problems.  As to RX/TX switching, the VOX handles the task
nicely.  The Windows sound mixer along with the Line gain on the radio
handles the level control.  The best thing is that I have none of the
interface problems that others seem to deal with.  My philosophy is this;
more boxes, more wires, more cables = more problems.

As to power indication, the display in the radio is very fast thus can
indicate the quasi true PEP power value.  Mechanical meters are slow by
nature and without some electronic acceleration will not be able to follow
or display PEP signal values.

I am not aware of ANY 100 watt radio on the market today that will output
100 watts of clean PSK signal.  Typically the output power should be -3
to -6 dB below rated PEP output for digital modes.

73
Bob, K4TAX