[TenTec] O2 output level with PSK aux

wa3fiy at radioadv.com wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Wed Feb 11 15:22:37 EST 2009

A PSK31 signal is a two tone signal.   That likely accounts for what you are
seeing on the 'scope.  That also accounts for the lower average power
output reading compared to a CW output.   Somebody check my theory but I
think a two tone signal of two equal amplitude tones having the same PEP
as a continuous carrier will have an average power of 1/2 the continuous
carrier.    Anyway any radio that is transmitting a PSK31 signal and is
showing more that about 50% of the continuous carrier is non linear and
should not be used or better, readjusted to operate in the linear range.  On
my Orion here (and several other rigs as well) I set the O for 50 watts on
CW with the PWR control.  The Power output meter shows about 52 watts.
Makes sense.  My external power meter agrees.  When I run a PSK31
signal JUST barely lighting the ALC led, I still show 52 watts on the O power
meter and about 25 watts on the external power meter.  That too makes
sense if indeed the PSK two tone signal average is 50% of PEP.   My SB-
610 scope confirms that the CW PEP power and the PSK PEP power are
identical.   This tells me that the O power meter displays PEP output and
agrees very well with the setting of the PWR control.

I have often wondered about PSK31 power reports.   When an operator
says he is running 30 watts what is he talking about?   30 watts average or
30 watts PEP?   2:1 difference.   Not that it makes much difference.  Just
curious.   I always report PEP which I can read directly off the O power
meter or the PWR control as long as I am tickling the ALC.  Finally, it is OK
to get a small alc indication on several Ten TEC's I've tested.  On both my
Pegasus and Orion, I consistently see IMD levels in the low 30's which is
pretty good signal.

73,

-Lee-