[TenTec] Orion I intermittent RIT/XIT

John T. Fleming john at w3gqj.net
Wed Feb 18 09:30:21 EST 2009

Does anyone have an Orion I with an intermittent RIT/XIT control?  Mine has
become intermittent again and I am trying a new idea.  If yours is
intermittent, I suspect the connector J8.  I have had my entire front panel
apart and examined the PC board and ALL connections look good.  I found that
if I apply pressure to the front of the case between the sweep button and
the LCD display, the problem will cure itself.  Connector J8 is located
behind this point.  Originally I noticed that pins 3 and 4 of J8 did not
have any scratch marks from being plugged into connector J15.  I also
noticed that my pins 3 and 4 were bent out of alignment.  I straightened
them to align with the other pins.  This time I bent the pins a little
further hoping to get more friction with the connector.  So now it is a
waiting game to see if it fails again.

If your rig is intermittent, please try applying pressure to the case
between the sweep button and the display.  If it cures the problem, this
helps to confirm that a marginal batch of connectors could be the source of
the problem.  I have no intention of replacing mine.  At 70, my eyes,
fingers and dexterity ain't what it was as a kid!  I will just apply
pressure a few times until I have a good connection again.

73,
John