[TenTec] OMNI V upgrade

Donald L. Schliesser donjan7 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 1 16:09:10 EST 2009

Scott, You might think about replacing the whole key pad.  I did that on
my OMNI.  Bought it from Ten-Tec for about $35 a year or so ago.  It
requires taking the front panel off and some maneuvering to get the new
key pad situated, but I was able to do it no problem.  Just took my
time, made diagrams and made sure I got the plugs back in the right
places.  There is one plug that has an extra pin sticking out and you
have to be sure to plug it back in with that same pin out.

A lot of my buttons were worn and this obviously solved the problem.  I
kept the old keypad to use the buttons that were not worn as spares. (I
should live so long!).  Unfortunately, the buttons you need were also
bad on my keypad.  Think I asked the same thing about replacement
buttons, and got the same answer, except they told me about the whole
keypad being available.

I was talking to Don Prouty in the Ten-Tec's service department but he
has now left.  The current resident expert on the OMNI V is Gary Green.
Suggest you talk to him and ask him to check to see if they still have
any full keypads available.  Whoever you talked to may not have known
they had them.

Hope that helps.

73, Donald K6RV