[TenTec] Ten Tec OII - SSB Distortion

ac9s at mchsi.com ac9s at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 13 15:56:29 EST 2009

>Can't speak for the Orion but as to the Omni VII, there is a hardware gain
>that may need to be adjusted.  If your DSP mike gain is running at 30% or
>less then I suggest that you reduce the hardware gain.  Good and healthy DSP
>mike gain value is in the 30% to 50% range.  If you should overdrive the
>input stage, pre DSP gain, then any distortion generated in the 1st stage
>will be passed along and no amount or reducing the DSP gain will clear the
>distortion.

>73
>Bob, K4TAX

As originally reported, I have been experiencing really distorted SSB with my OII for the last 3 - 4 weeks - after receiving glowing reports for the last 2 years.  I have partially 'cured it', but don't have the root cause nailed yet.  A master reset will restore the radio to its excellent state, but it appears my problem reappears after checking into a 160 meter AM net we have locally on Sunday mornings.   160 Meter AM operation is always distorted and once I have operated 160 I then have the problem on all other bands with SSB.  A master reset now gets me back in operation, but I don't know what is triggering the problem.   This Sunday I used  my 756Pro and received excellent audio reports on the net.  I switched to the Orion and had the distorted report.  Asked the guys to switch mode, did a master reset and had excellent audio reports on SSB, which I then validated on 40 and 20..  So - it looks like AM operation on 160.  Maybe There is enough RF floating around the shack on 160 o scramble its little brain, but I have always thought the Pro more succeptable to RF than the O2 and I don't have any evidence of RF in the shack.

Does this trigger any thoughts?  I can work around the problem, but clearly something is wrong.

Thanks --

Keith
AC9S