[TenTec] Omni VI Opt 3 PSK 31 Operation

Paul designer at quickdata.com
Tue Jan 13 23:27:04 EST 2009

The trend used to be, run at low power and turn up the mic gain (with
the two tone TUNE signal) until the ALC light flickers, then back it
off a hair. But current trend posts in digital news groups seem to
say run the rig wide open but using the mic gain and a two tone PSK
"tune" output, adjust so you are only putting out the 15 - 25 watts
(whatever the duty cycle will allow, not over 40 W or so). Something
about improved linearity.

I used the ALC method on my Argo V and ran about 15 Watts and the ALC
flicter method. Always got good reports and could easily get into
South America from Central Oregon. And getting anywhere from Central
Oregon is an accomplishment. You do NOT need high power on PSK and in
fact it will only be bad for your signal and bad for your rig.  PSK
is one place where the "playing field" is still pretty even.

73,
Paul