[TenTec] OT: Strange CW on 80m

john_egger at comcast.net john_egger at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 08:29:25 EST 2009

Shortly after 0000Z, for the last two nights, I have heard a station on 3.561 (Thursday evening) and 3.557 (Friday) MHz that may be commercial or military. Using CW at about 20-25 wpm with a good signal (569 in New England), Thursday I heard "KMBL de 5HMX QTC K" and a few minutes later five-symbol groups like "HNYRW FBFSH" etc., including some characters like dah-dah-dah-dah (and others with four dit/dahs) I'm not familiar with. A few minutes later, what seemed like the same station began sending "YUAH de 5O7Y K", and 5O7Y then called GSO7, YTCB, 3OXV, and J6MN.

On Friday (3557 KHz), the operator seemed a little less smooth, making a few mistakes. He send "HYDS QTC ZOLAR" and then "5O7Y 449 2T 17 T248 ... " with more five-letter groups and some of the four-symbol characters I don't know. 5O7Y then called "YUAH de 5O7Y R 449? K" and other stations VGS8, YTCB, 3OXV, KMBL, J6MN, and NM8I.

Does anyone in the group know what these stations are, and what this traffic is? (I think the four-character groups I'm unfamiliar with may be punctuation marks like semicolons, etc., but I'm not sure about that.)

--K3GHH