[TenTec] Ground, noise blankers in the Omni V and plasma TV's

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 19 12:39:04 EST 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:54:16 -0500, Scott Sheppard wrote:

>Dealing with some very bad RFI from my plasma TV (Panasonic).Have
>improved my ground to no avail (I honestly did'nt think it would do
>anything anyway--in fact it stays the same with no ground at all).

All products are different -- they have their own ways of radiating
trash depending on how they are built. If the dominant mechanism is
direct radiation from the screen, as K4TAX has described, you're
hosed -- there's nothing you can do but turn it off or dispose of
it.

IF, however, the trash is radiated common mode by cable attached to
the set (that is, that wiring is an antenna), you can make a MAJOR
dent in the noise with a common mode choke. The tutorial below
explains these mechanisms and describes how to kill them.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC