[TenTec] Paragon II RS-232 noise

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jan 23 13:28:22 EST 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:49:47 -0800, jerome schatten wrote:

>Sounds like the computer and the rig are not at the same AC ground
>potential. That is, if you measure the AC voltage between those
>grounds, you may be surprised to see tens of volts.

I'd bet on a "pin 1 problem" at one or both ends of the cable. Study
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

especially "Solving Problems in the Shack" and the K9YC serial
cable.

Also look at the simple bonding recommended between the chassis of
the rig and the chassis of the computer. This is also discussed in
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf  which contains the
Power Point slides for several presentations of this material that
I've done at ham clubs and hamfests.

I'm currently writing the EMC chapter for the 2010 ARRL Handbook,
and this material will be included.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC