[TenTec] Molex Connectors

ac9s at mchsi.com ac9s at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 27 14:15:48 EST 2009

"The white multi-pin rectangular connectors used by Ten Tec for power
on their radios during the 70s and 80s are Molex connectors. They
come in several sizes. You buy the white housings and the pins
separately. There are male and female housings and male and female
pins. The newest Ten Tec radio I own is an Omni V, and it also uses
Molex for power. Newark, Allied, Mouser, Digikey are the sources.
They aren't very expensive and they're moderately robust, but
they're a bit of a PITA, because once a pin is inserted in the
housing, it's next to impossible to get it out without a special
tool. And although othey latch pretty solidly, it can be a PITA to
unlatch them!

The white multi-pin rectangular connectors used by Ten Tec for power
on their radios during the 70s and 80s are Molex connectors. They
come in several sizes. You buy the white housings and the pins
separately. There are male and female housings and male and female
pins. The newest Ten Tec radio I own is an Omni V, and it also uses
Molex for power. Newark, Allied, Mouser, Digikey are the sources.
They aren't very expensive and they're moderately robust, but
they're a bit of a PITA, because once a pin is inserted in the
housing, it's next to impossible to get it out without a special
tool. And although othey latch pretty solidly, it can be a PITA to
unlatch them!  "

You can buy molex connectors in a variety of configurations at your local Radio Shack.  Also, They make an inexpensive little tool that fits over individual pins, compresses the portion that expands, and allows one to easily remove them from the nylon housing.  I use molex connectors in all my control lines - rotator, remote antenna switch, Steppir line - so that I can easily disconnect them when I am away from the radio.  Some of these little connectors have lasted for 15+ years with nary a failure in a daily connect, disconnect cycle.  I think they are one of the great bargains in our hobby.

Keith
AC9S