[TenTec] Requst PTO rebuild help

Tom NØJMY n0jmy at hayseedhamfest.com
Tue Jul 28 20:56:50 PDT 2009

Andrew, first - don't grab those shafts with pliers, or anything else.
You want them to stay really smooth.

I'm assuming you're doing this with the PTO removed from the chassis.
If you're not, you need to remove it if you want to do the complete rebuild.

Even if the bearings are shot or if the grease has hardened to the point
where you have a full slip situation, you should be able to grasp the
core drive-rod right in front (outside) of the PTO box and turn it with
your fingers.  Never mind the tuning shaft, which is the smaller
diameter shaft that fits inside the core drive rod.

You want to turn that core drive-rod so that the tuning core moves all
the way to the front.  That will allow the tuning-shaft/core drive-rod
assembly to be pushed back far enough for you to reach the pin.

BTW, there are a few Ten-Tec PTO's that turn opposite of what the
directions in the kit say.  I can't remember if the 540 is one of them
or not.  Really doesn't matter as long as you turn it in whatever
direction moves the core toward the front.

Keep us informed, especially if the above doesn't do the trick.

GL es 73,
Tom