[TenTec] Orion-1 problem

bill ogden billogden at optonline.net
Sat Jun 27 07:27:06 PDT 2009

Based only on a gut feeling, I suspected the problem was in the switching diodes.  Several people suggested playing with the noise blanker.

SUCCESS.  The receiver works if the "hardware" noise blanker is ON.  This gives me a working receiver until I ship it home for a general tuneup.  (Hank - K7HP hit the nail on the head)

(The primary reason for wanting a general tuneup is that the NB and NR functions have never worked very well. I realize they are software effects--except for the hardware NB.  Also, I have always felt the audio chain (with no signal) was too noisy, while the absolute amount of audio power available was low.  With weak CW, I often have both the AF and RF gain at maximum while feeding 40-ohm headphones.)

I thank everyone for their help.

Bill - W2WO