[TenTec] Keyboard advice...

d.e.warnick at comcast.net d.e.warnick at comcast.net
Sun Mar 1 08:10:05 PST 2009

Steve,

There's no connection for 'just a keyboard' as on some other rigs. What you want is to have your computer do the  CW work for you. There are many logging programs that interface to the Omni VI series and include CW. I have used MixW and now prefer N1MM. Look around at them. Many (like N1MM) will cost nothing and can key your rig. If you haven't used your interface port to connect your Omni to the computer for logging, that is the first step that you should take. It's especially important for contesting. The time, frequency and mode are all taken care  of for you. All you need to add is the station worked. Much of the CW keying can be done by defining the function keys on the computer keyboard. Most software packages refers to 'macros' that do this for you. There is a learning curve, but it's pretty intuitive. If you ask the guys on the reflector which package to use, you'll get as many opinions as there are hams (I just said N1MM, didn't I). This just means that there are a lot of really good packages out there, and many are shareware. Best advice would be to try a few and pick the one that suits YOU.

Then, again if you have done the interface work, you're already there

Dave

WA3MKB