[TenTec] possible bug in new Orion II firmware

Bruce McLaughlin bmclaugh at bex.net
Sun Mar 1 15:02:36 PST 2009

I downloaded the new firmware today.  Unfortunately, I discovered the
internal tuner will now not properly tune out the SWR on 40 meters.  When I
press the tune button it emits a relatively short carrier but does not
reduce the SWR.  When I then key the radio in CW mode, it shows a high SWR
message.  Subsequent attempts to cause the tuner to re-tune make no
difference and the SWR remains high.  I do not know whether it does some
other bands.  So far I have tried it only on 40 meters.

The previous firmware version did not exhibit this problem.  I wonder if
this has been observed by anyone else.

Bruce-W8FU