[TenTec] FW Update Problem w/O2

Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF] peter at frenning.dk
Mon Mar 2 09:45:02 PST 2009

Ron Castro skrev:
> This still sounds like a COM port problem in the computer.  I have been
> using a USB to serial port converter for a couple of years and it has worked
> perfectly on the my Orion II, a friend's 'original' v. 1x Orion, my old
> TS-870, plus numerous other devices.
>
> FWIW, I found that all USB-to-serial converters are based on two different
> chips...one seems to work all the time and the other is flakey, but I don't
> know which one is which!  What I do know is that the one made by "Cables To
> Go" works for me every time, so I bought four of them and keep one
> everywhere I think I might need one.
>
> BTW, I use this on a Sony P-4 laptop with XP Pro.

Ones made by "Prolific Technology Inc" work out of the box on Linux, and
Using a driver with WinXP, Win2K, and, I suspect, at least with 32-bit
Vista (if you have a hankering to masochism)

I used my cheapo Chinese Serial <-> USB adapter, connected to my Ubuntu
8.10 machine, running WinXP on SunxVM VirtualBox, to update my O2
without a hitch, and use the same setup to run run HRD and other
rigcontrol programs on XP and "Grig" on Ubuntu.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk