[TenTec] What sort of bandwidth do you like?

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Sat Mar 14 10:26:37 PDT 2009

I guess it depends on a couple of things.  First, what kind of microphone
are you using?  Mics like the PR-40 sound excellent for ESSB, but to use it
for contesting requires a lot careful settings where something like an HC-4
element is pretty good for contest and DX work with just flat settings on
the Orion.

Next thing is what you're using the radio for.  For big-signal, low-band
rag-chewing, you want a fuller, smoother sound.  For that, I run a PR-40,
flat EQ setting in the Orion, LF at 80 Hz and BW to 3900, no speech
processing.  For busting a major pile-up or contesting you want narrow,
focused, highly compressed/limited audio.  For contests, I use an HC-4, EQ
on -10, LF at 250 and BW at 2700, SP at 7 and drive the audio hard!

For "general purpose SSB" I would probably use the HC-4 with no EQ, LF at
150, BW 3000 and no SP, or the PR-40 with EQ at -6, LF at 200, BW 3000 and
no SP.  For weak conditions, SP at 4 or 5 would help.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com