[TenTec] What sort of bandwidth do you like?

Martin Sole msole at loxinfo.co.th
Sat Mar 14 20:21:55 PDT 2009

Thanks for the replies folks,

I guess my original post might have been slightly mis-leading, I was
referring to the bandwidth on receive and was prompted to look into this a
little after I had Spectrogram looking at the audio output. It showed that
with the pbt on 0 and the bandwidth on say 2500 that the HF roll off is
indeed occurring at about 2500 and consequently the LF roll off is down
around 0 - no wonder it sounds funny. I had presumed that it might be
otherwise such as bandwidth 2500 = audio response 300Hz-2800Hz.

As several mentioned running the pbt up to around 200 to 400 depending on
bandwidth and other factors related to the signal being received sounds much
better to my ear. Watching the display in spectrogram it seems that the BW
control doesn't do quite what I thought it would as it seems to leave the
low end almost untouched and until you get below about 1400Hz bandwidth it
acts more like a high cut control which with the second control set to low
cut gives a sort of Kenwood slope tune effect. All this with the audio eq
set to 0dB.

This morning I was listening to some weak US stations on 20m that were
essentially covered if I had the pbt set at 0 because of the LF 'growl'. All
this with 1.373b5 firmware. I may try with some v2 firmware later to see if
I get similar results.

In all cases I am not quite so impressed with the LF roll off which is
nowhere near as sharp as the HF roll off. Adjusting the taps does equalize
things somewhat and can make the audio a little more pleasing at times but a
sharper LF roll off would be nice.

Regards

Martin, HS0ZED