[TenTec] Century 22

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at gti.net
Sun Mar 15 14:31:19 PDT 2009

Robert:

Welcome back!  I recently bought a Century 22, so I'd be glad to compare
notes when you get yours. Mine has a couple of very minor quirks, which
you may or may not observe.  It really is a fun little radio and its
much more sophisticated than the Century 21. Mine has the built-in
calibrator and keyer, which may be rare, but you could homebrew
equivalents if you wanted to. I'm thinking about someday adding an
outboard digital frequency display. Almost All Digital Electronics
(AADE) makes some nice ones.

At 20W output you really don't need an amp. The power is adequate for
CW. Ten Tec made a 50 W amp for the Argonaut series and Tokyo High
Power Labs makes one intended for the Yaesu FT-817, but these are both
5W transceivers, so the C-22 may overdrive the amp.  The amps mentioned
put out 50 W, which is only a little more than 1/2 S-unit above the
Century 22 anyway.

The Century 22 has the same VFO as the Omni and Corsair series. I find
it to be very stable.  The receiver is a challenge  for contests because
it is direct conversion and therefore not "single signal".  However, the
audio filter is very good with no ringing and you can sometimes avoid
QRM by swinging the offset tuning over to the other side of zero beat.
I also discovered that the audio filter will take out the buzz from
power lines and other sources better than a noise blanker.

30 meters is nice.  It is a lot like 40, and a little like 20, but its
not crowded  and there are no contests to blanket the band on weekends.
Right now, because of the low solar activity, its mainly a daytime band.

It's a good idea to have a circuit breaker, but if your swr is low or if
you use a tuner and do the tuning at reduced power, you should be fine.
  You can order an equivalent circuit breaker from Poco Sales.  They
carry the 5 amp Airpax magnetic breakers that Ten Tec originally used.

When were you first licensed? I got my start in high school in 1966 as
WN2VUF, with a Heath DX-60A and later with an HW-100.  I remember the
HW-16 as a really nice cw rig and one of the few that used full break-in.

I use a keyer or straight key. At night when I'm tired, I always use a
straight key because I make too many errors with the keyer. My straight
keys of choice are the surplus J-37 variants, or better yet, the Navy
CMI-26003A.

					73,

					Bob WB2VUF