[TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Mar 18 18:54:30 PDT 2009

d.e.warnick at comcast.net wrote:
> The problem of heating an unmatched balun is one of the reasons that I chose the Palstar AT5K.
Heating in a common mode choke (current balun) has NOTHING to do with
SWR, it's all about antenna BALANCE, the common mode voltage across the
choke, and the choking impedance. If the choking impedance is high
enough, there's very little heating because there's very little current,
and power is I squared R!

Heating in a voltage balun (transformer) has little to do with SWR
either. All the TX power must go through the core. If the core is lossy
it gets hot. Period.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC