[TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up? Thanks !

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 19 15:35:18 PDT 2009

Just because a tuner has a balun on its input, its own circuit can still
be unbalanced (like an L net).  That might still work on many balanced
antennas if you lift the ground side of the L net with the input balun,
but the usual problem at 160m is not enough L and C in a tuner network.
If you had enough L and C to hit all of 160m, you probably have too much
minimum L and C for 10m.  Manufacturers tend to favor using components
for the bands that are not so expensive as big caps and inductors for
160m optimized operation.

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL, (sk), found that the old Zepp feed, where a balanced
line has one wire open at the end of the dipole and the other feeding
the end, only had 10 per cent imbalance currents in the feeder back at
the shack.  Thus, you almost operate a balanced line.  Whether that
works on the band depends on how close you are to the limits of the
tuner, which is the L and C issue, and the feeder length possibly
getting into an impedance transformation.  The other issue is
ultimately, if the unbalance currents couple into the shack.  You don't
want the outer surface of the coax shield on the rig side of the input
balun picking up any stray RF.

Yes, there are voltage limits to insulators that might operate fine at
100 watts but when fed from an amplifier, you reach some high voltages
at the antenna, again depending on impedance and all the system issues,
(feeder impedance transformation action, etc.)  Even auxillary issues
like dirt or dust on an antenna insulator could make it break down at
less voltage than when new.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH