[TenTec] Argosy II Questions

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Sat Mar 21 15:41:52 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 17:21 -0500, Ed - K9EW wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I also have a spur near 21.320, so I'd guess it's normal.

Happens in many Tentecs. The 20 MHz crystal in my Corsair II is 6.99
which means when the PTO readout says 21.320 that the PTO is at 5.330.
4*5.330 is exactly 21.320000 MHz.

> Rebuilding the PTO is actually pretty easy.  Getting it out is usually
> the hardest part because it's different for every radio.  It so
> happens I did the PTO rebuild for the Argosy II, and the removal
> directions are on my website at www.k9ew.us, under Projects / Argosy
> 525 PTO Rebuild.  The rebuild information has been well documented by
> Monty (N5ESE), and I have a link to that in the removal directions.

One tip I figured out when I did mine is to work on a cafeteria tray so
the little balls can't roll off the work table onto the floor and be
lost.

> You'll get all kinds of suggestions for the type of lubrication to
> use, so I'll throw my 2 cents into the pot now...  I've used synthetic
> grease which will probably not harden for many years, but it is on the
> thick side and the tuning reflects that.  I've also used white lithium
> grease which is thinner, and the tuning is easier with that
> lubrication.  Something I'll try in my next PTO build is bicycle chain
> oil.  That has been recommended by several people, and I think it's
> worth a try.
>
> As for alignment of the PTO, I'd stick closely to the instructions in
> the manual.  There's only one adjustment, so it's pretty
> straightforward.
>
> As long as you're digging into the Argosy II, I'd recommend adding the
> grounding spring for the PTO shaft (also on my website under "PTO
> Tuning Knob Sensitivity...").  It works very well, and eliminates the
> sometimes annoying shift in frequency as your fingers get close to the
> metal skirt on the tuning knob.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> 73,
> ed - k9ew