[TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc

CSM(r) Gary Huber glhuber at msn.com
Fri May 1 06:07:40 PDT 2009

I've found the SS clamps to be a very good replacement compression clamp for aluminum tubing joint splices even if the screw is not SS.  HyGain used a plated bolt / nut with a "band"; it frequently failed during disassembly requiring a replacement reorder.  Butternut and others have used a bolt, lock washer, and nut through holes drilled through both tubes (mechanically weaker).  I've not seen a hose clamp compression tubing splice fail....

In over 35 years of installing, repairing, and replacing aluminum (tube) antennas, it's been my experience that aluminum tube joints cleaned with steel wool, fine sand paper, or emery cloth, and alcohol (soaked clean rag), doped with Blackburn Compound (or similar) will provide a great low resistant joint which can be easily disassembled 5, 10, or 20 years later. The stainless steel hose clamps' screw may be corroded, but the aluminum tubes can still be pulled apart even though the hose clamp is destroyed in the process of releasing the tension / compression.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd
Bloomington, IL 61705