[TenTec] parts not SS

Tim Long tlong8 at earthlink.net
Fri May 1 07:12:15 PDT 2009

Hello All,
This is still OT. but the record needs to be set straight.
Much easier to pay a few extra cents and get the clamps that are 100%
stainless.  Better yet, get aircraft grade, but they will cost you.
The UV component of sunlight causes fiberglass to degrade and expose the
glass fibers.  Anything that protects the fiberglass from sunlight will
prevent the degradation.
There are two basic kinds of silicone sealer.  One variety gives off
acidic acid as it cures.  The acidic acid will accelerate corrosion of
connections.  The other variety gives off ammonia as it cures and this
stuff is intended for use on electrical connections.  If you read the
fine print on the packaging, it will caution you.
73, Tim, W2UI