[TenTec] 564 9 mHz Filters

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Sun May 3 17:55:17 PDT 2009

Hi Bob,

     I am using the Ten-Tec 217 and 221 filters in my Omni VI option 3.
The 221 is a "low note" 250 Hz BW filter for CW, and the 217 is
Ten-Tec's 500 Hz CW filter. I have no experience with the Inrad filters.
I'm sure if you pick the right ones they are great.

     I have often thought about putting a 218 in the "default" filter
slot in place of the normal 2.4 kHz filter (model 220, stock number
48058, I think). This would make the maximum receive AND transmit
bandwidth 1.8 kHz. The SSB might not sound very nice, but with the
"proper mis-adjustment" of the BFOs might make it usable and possibly
even good for pileup busting. The adjustment would probably have to be
done specifically for each persons voice, so this would be a one
person's radio. And the frequency readout would be incorrect by whatever
amount the BFOs are off nominal frequencies. Or if you really never
intend to use the rig on SSB, just leave the BFOs adjusted properly.
I've never tried this, but the idea sounds interesting.

     I'd love to see an after market custom 9 MHz IF board for the Omni
VI that would allow those of us with version 1 and 2 Omni VI to have
more than one narrow option filter in the 9 MHz IF. If it had yet
another slot, even people with Omni VI+ and version 3 might want one.

DE N6KB