[TenTec] Argonaut II digital interfacing?

waltk8cv4612amos at att.net waltk8cv4612amos at att.net
Sat May 9 02:09:31 PDT 2009

I thought ho-hum, stupid question, and then I looked at the picture and sure
enough the band change knob IS GONE ! Well, that's a different kettle of
fish Ollie ! It is NOT a 50 watt amp any more but a 45 watt amp now. :-)
HL-45B ! So, what did they do ? Must have put in a frequency counter and
relays ? I think a call to HRO and a little talk with the salesman on the
phone should clear up your question. Mine is an older HL-50B and it does put
out around 45 watts but has a KNOB on the front panel for band switching.
Mine senses RF and switches from receive to transmit with a Argo II but not
bands and if you don't switch bands on the amp and do on the rig it FAULTS
and light a red light on the front panel and will not put out RF until you
change the band switch! So, the one they are selling as a HL-45B is
different from the older model in some way, maybe a frequency counter inside
the amp and microprocessor to switch relays for different bands or just a
cord to the FT-817 to get different voltage outputs for different bands ?
Alas, I don't know and probably HRO would ! It is a nice amp and almost
mandatory in this rotten sun spot low that is going on and on !

Walt K8CV Royal Oak, MI.