[TenTec] Help me, I'm dumb.

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Wed May 20 17:41:39 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 17:52 -0600, jack User wrote:
> sounds like you know Linux. have you ever tried to make Xlog work in
> Linux? i tried a couple times in Ubuntu 8.10, had it working until i
> rebooted. then it failed miserably: would not load. 1.7 would not
> install properly. 3.0 installed and failed. i gave up.
>
> jack
> ak7o

That's one of the problems with Linux distributions and software. Each
piece is dependent on 1 to 27 other pieces that have to be loaded first
and they all have to be the right versions. We cussed windoze for
updating .DLL files without bothering to see how many programs they
broke. I can't say Linux is better.

I've not succeeded in getting any radio programs to run under Fedora
Core 3 in this computer, but I downloaded flpuppy that comes with fldigi
and a logging program preloaded and it works slick. Recently I
downloaded version 4.12 and its better.

Just this hour, one of my test Linux computers is restoring XP so I can
initialize my new wireless modem. Its been at it 1:25 and says it has 14
minutes to go.

A few weeks ago I picked up a Maxtor USB drive to use for backup. After
a week of flailing, I took it back to Staples when their computer guru
was there and he booted up Ubuntu 8.10 and on the third try reformatted
it from NTFS to a format linux likes, but Ubuntu said it had a
permission problem. When I brought it home to Fedora Core 3, I had no
problems it worked fine. I just backed up the loose files on that other
computer that is headed for XP with it also. In theory Linux should be
able to be made to read NTFS, but I've not succeeded.

Sometimes working with Linux is like it was before Microsoft. There was
so much variety in hardware that we had to write our on BIOS to run CP/M
if the box was that modern. A couple I built in the 70s, I had to write
all the code in assembler but for one school computer, I did it many
times. I got so I didn't need a computer to assemble the code, I just
wrote opcode and hex as fast as I could scribble on paper. I had to slow
down for relative jumps, but I built a base 16 abacus for those.

73, Jerry, K0CQ