[TenTec] 715 Processor with a HC4 Pro-Set?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri May 29 10:14:35 PDT 2009

Dear Rick,

With all due respect, I'm interested in finding out why you are using
the Ten Tec RF processor with a 1000D when the 1000D has one of the
best RF speech processors ever to be included with a ham rig, built
right into one of the rig's IFs where an RF processor belongs.

I had a ham at the Hamvention ask me if I thought he needed one of the
Ten Tec processors.  As I recall, he was operating a FT950.  I told
him it was probably the last thing he needed with a modern Yaesu rig,
and that he'd be better off buying a good microphone,  He said he
already had a Heil mic and thanked me for saving him $250.

>From other comments I've seen here, I am getting the impression that
80% of these things have been sold to hams who don't need them because
they are running Orions, FT2000s, other rigs made since 1995.  I
wonder how much more noise is going to be on the ham bands from these
processors, excessive ALC and the new ALS1300 in the next big contest?
 If a ham is operating an old TS520 then that's a different matter,
but in the case of the old rigs, $250 might buy a ham a better used
rig.

73,

Rob / K5UJ