[TenTec] PTO Backlash help needed

Bwana Bob wb2vuf at gti.net
Sat May 30 05:33:21 PDT 2009

Tom NØJMY wrote:
> Hello.  New member here.  I have some Century 21's here which seem to
> all exhibit dial backlash (maybe I should call it knob backlash) when
> turning the tuning knob counter-clockwise.  The closer you get to the
> CCW end of the dial travel the worse the backlash becomes.  There is no
> backlash when turning the knob clockwise.
>
> I've read quite a bit about dial slippage and rebuilding the PTO in the
> C-21, but these units have all been cleaned and lubricated, turn freely,
> and there is no dial slippage.
>
> Have any of you fellows run into this problem?  Is this an inherent
> characteristic of the C-21 PTO, or is it a problem that can be fixed?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom, NØJMY .  .

Tom:

Make sure that you have the correct grease. When I rebuilt my Corsair
PTO, I used a light synthetic grease and had thr problem that you
describe. I then switched to the "official" green Ten Tec grease and it
solved the problem. You don't want a grease that is too slippery because
the tension of the spring in the PTO will push on the "pistol" attached
to the slug and cause the tuning shaft to rotate.  Also, you might try
reducing the number of shim washers on the spring holder at the back of
the PTO to increase the force of the small spring.  You can also
sometimes make an improvement by loosening the tuning knob, then
pressing it more tightly against the felt washers on the front panel,
then retightening the set screws.

                                              73,
                                              Bob WB2VUF