[TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 83, Issue 9

tlp1 at vzavenue.net tlp1 at vzavenue.net
Wed Nov 11 11:09:38 PST 2009

Please turn off the stupid...PLEASE!!!!!

A few things....

I'm damned fortunate to have gotten my electronics
experience, and more, from 30 plus years in aviation
electronics. Voice and data radio are a very small part of
aviation electronics in whole. To this day, I've never had
to depend on forums like this one, and some of the idiot
parades out there that pass themselves off as some kind of
half-witted tech forum/think tank. I've always been able to
set up my own station, and maintain it with zero assistance.
It's what makes the ham radio hobby fun, is to have the
technical challenges in front of you, and figure them out
yourself. Before getting involved in this hobby, I'd always
believed that design, and self sufficiency was one of the
cornerstones of ham radio. Who knows, maybe it was at the
beginning of the 20th century. It sure isn't that way now.
That is if you pay attention to the whiners here and other
places on the internet.

I have the Orion II, and I'm very pleased with it. For you
hams that couldn't build your own gear if you're life
depended on it (and build something comparable in
performance and out of pocket expense as the Orion II), much
less, and I STRONGLY EMPHASIZE MUCH LESS, work on and modify
your own gear when it breaks, and to enhance its performance
from the component level, you don't understand how lucky you
are that commercial ham gear is available from a lot of
people.

Be happy with what you have. If you don't like it, buy
something that will do the job for you, OR BUILD YOUR OWN!!

When you can build something that performs like the the
Orion II, from scratch and talk to us on the air with it,
let me know, and let me know how much it cost you.

KU5Q