[TenTec] It the 715 speech processor for my Omni C?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sun Nov 15 15:41:06 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 17:26 -0500, Walt K8CV wrote:
> Like a true ham the first, and probably wrong, idea is a transformer! Low to
> high impedance line transformer?
>
> Walt K8CV

The 715 manual doesn't talk about older rigs. The audio input impedance is
sure 47K set by a resistor to ground at the first audio amp input. The EV 606
prefers 250K to 5M according to its spec sheet. There surely is lots of
gain at that point, so hooking a 200K or 220 K resistor in series with
the hot microphone input should take care of the impedance match without
too much signal loss. A high impedance microphone has lots of volts
compared to a low impedance microphone so the 5:1 voltage drop shouldn't
be a problem.

Looking at the 715 schematic some more, the output comes from R30 (I
think, the on line manual is FUZZY) a 1K pot, probably the radio drive
set pot. If it won't give enough voltage to drive the high impedance
radio, that 1K pot is in series with 22k that could be reduced or
shorted (though then the 1K pot might ought to be 20K) to raise the
voltage as much as 20 times. There's no problem driving the radio's high
input impedance from a low impedance source so long as that source has
enough voltage. Reducing or shorting R31 looks like it would give plenty
of voltage, better if R30 was changed to a higher value though.

It would be nice for the older radio if TT made a high impedance input
option (by means of the simple series resistor or an option to make that
47K about 270K) and a high impedance output (by raising the value of R30
and maybe lowering the value of R31) option. That output option could
use a 10K pot all the time and for low impedance (and so low level) with
provisions for adding a 1K resistor in parallel with R30. That's how I'd
attack it if I wanted to.

73, Jerry, K0CQ