[TenTec] Distortion SSB Omni VII

Jim Brown K9YC k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Nov 21 10:24:41 PST 2009

>Attatched ground leads

Grounding is probably barking up the wrong tree unless something is
really wrong with your antenna system.

The most likely cause is the live mic over-driving the electronics
that it is connected to. In other words, you need to turn down the
gain of that input stage a LOT.

I don't know the Omni VII, so can't offer more specific advice. But
Ten Tec rigs in general have always had very good audio inputs.

One of the guys in our contest club (NCCC) recently organized a
group purchase of Yamaha CM500 headsets with attached mics. These
are very nice, and also quite inexpensive (about $40), but the mic
signal comes out very "hot" (that is, much nigher level than most
mics). This required us to readjust the audio inputs of our rigs so
that we didn't overdrive them.

The CM500 mic also has excellent EQ for communications use, and
sounds MUCH better than most Heils I've heard. The SSB SS weekend
will be the first serious test of these headsets for most of us.
Hopefully we'll still like them after 24 hours on the air. :)

73,

Jim K9YC