[TenTec] Argonaut 509 FS - What's It Worth?

Gary Harmon gharmon at idworld.net
Mon Nov 30 12:16:53 PST 2009

I recently acquired an Argonaut 509 (s/n 2962) that needs attention.  When I
got this radio it was in pieces but in the end it was all there.  A previous
owner had mounted two switches in the front panel and connected them to a
CWF-2 filter through the rear socket.  There was also a AGC switch with a
capacitor mounted in the rear panel as well as a capacitor raised off a
nearby PCB.  I removed all this stuff and filled holes in the front panel,
sub panel and rear panel.  There may be some other modifications, either
related or unrelated, that I missed.  I purchased the accessory plug and new
dial string from Ten-Tec.  I replaced the tuning cord and it tracks except
won't go to the high end consistently.

Radio comes on with what seems to be low audio noise.  There is 5 watts
output on all bands in LOCK position and DRIVE varies the output.  FWD and
REV meter settings work.  RESONANCE doesn't seem to have any effect.  In
S-MTR position the meter goes to the right.  RF GAIN has no effect on the
meter reading in the S-MTR position but does turn off the audio noise.
Side, end and bottom panels are in good shape with only a few tiny nicks in
the brown covering.  Also missing are the rubber circles that stick on the
bottom of the front legs.  Knobs look good.  Mode switch is noisy.  Manual
is available from the Ten-Tec web site.  The parts I removed will be
included.  They could easily be mounted in a small box and connected to the
radio though the accessory socket.

Pictures can be provided if necessary.

73,

Gary H. Harmon, Jr. - K5JWK