[TenTec] Ten-tec Triton IV (540 restoration)

Mike Bryce prosolar at sssnet.com
Mon Oct 12 10:16:09 PDT 2009

Whoa!

watch out and be careful  using 409 cleaner, or any other cleaner for
that matter.

I've had 409 take the paint and silkscreen right off of front panels.

I completely destroyed a triton IV using mr clean.

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:13 PM, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 08:48 -0700, Marvin Haynes wrote:
> I recently bought a Triton IV at a hamfest. It appeared to be a
> basket case
> , with the faceplate stained yellow with tobacco tar. It is a
> restoration
> project in progress, but I have managed to get the receiver back to
> life.
> The PTO tunes well, but the dial pointer is stuck on the right side.
> Before
> I attempt to getting into the string, is there any Triton IV
> specific  dial
> restring instructions out there on the internet?(like taking the
> faceplate
> off to get to the string). Also, the receiver has a loud AGC pop.
> I have read that this is a common problem, and there was a mod for
> this.
> The serial # for my radio is 01012. Was this a very early version of
> the radio?  Any information would be appreciated.--Marvin, WB4OKM

I found a couple years ago that an industrial strength ammonia cleaner
from the hardware store was very effective at cleaning tobacco tar off a
radio front panel. It helped that this panel had been painted with epoxy
paint, I think. Others like 409 got the paper towel dirty but the panel
stayed yellow.

73, Jerry, K0CQ