[TenTec] WTB OMNI VI Plus for new Ham

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 09:44:50 PDT 2009

First, thanks Bill for helping a new ham.  But why not let him post
his question here and get our answers himself?   We do not know how
much money he has to spend and we do not know where is interests lie.
 I think a rig with the widest array of modes and bands for the money
would be a good choice.  Perhaps he does not care about CW.

In the absence of any information about him, I think he would be
better served by getting a used Icom 746.  I think it can cover six
meters and also operate AM.  He might wind up liking those two
possibilities.   Another fine used rig that is easy to operate (since
we seem to think that is a criteria) is the Kenwood TS850.   One of
the ultimate easy rigs is the Ten Tec Triton 4.  I had the Triton II
at one time and it was a joy to own and operate.  I wish I still had
it.  They may be hard to get these days but it is so easy to run it is
almost like a CB rig with a VFO and bandswitch.   BTW I recall the
Omni 6 PA transistors spec'd at 60 w. each for 120 w.  Correct me if I
am wrong but I do not consider that very robust.

73

Rob
K5UJ