[TenTec] Restoring a Ten-Tec Triton IV (540)

Marvin Haynes wb4okm at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 19:32:46 PDT 2009

Thanks to everyone on my earlier post on restoring my Triton IV, especially Phil, N4ZSA.  I now have the transmitter going with about 90-95 watts on 80-15, and about 75 on 10.  As for cleaning the tobacco tar of the faceplate, I used a tip from Collins restorers.  I used a product called KRUD-KUTTER (tm). I got mine from my local Ace Hardware store.  You apply it in sections, wait about 5 minutes, and the tar comes off in sheets!!  I used  one of those green fabric scrubber pads found in the dish washing section of supermarkets to rub it clean  It did not harm the lettering, but I was very careful about scrubbing around them.  This was followed by an aluminum polish.  The result was a very nice looking faceplate.  Thanks,  Marvin,WB4OKM