[TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610

Carter k8vt at ameritech.net
Sun Sep 6 07:43:10 PDT 2009

Group, sorry for the OT of the OT...looks like this thread "migrated" a
bit.   <grin>

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

>  Last month I was touring the outside part of the air museum at
>  Ellsworth AFB near Rapid City when a B1B took off and kicked in the
>  afterburners. It was LOUD on the ground half a mile or more from the
>  run way, and leaving at a few hundred mph.

No experience with the B-1, but I was a radio man in the Air National
Guard and one of our duties was called "last chance"...we had a spare
radio (ARC-34)  in case the radio failed moments before takeoff. You
haven't lived until you are standing on the wing of a jet with its
engines lit, changing the radio, hoping the intake didn't suck in a
piece of safety wire, one of your tools or YOU into the engine. We would
have to stay on the runway until the plane took off and forget your
ears, the afterburners on the F-106s would just absolutely cause your
entire chest cavity to vibrate -- the strangest sensation.

>  At Washington U (St. Louis)...

My son graduated cum laude from Wash U; great school, damnable summer
heat and humidity.