[TenTec] Loud fan PS 963

Martin Ewing martin.s.ewing at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:31:01 PDT 2009

Greg,

I agree that the fan is too loud.  I have lived with it for a long time, but
now you're making me think that action may be required!

You could take Tony's approach, but another way to do it would be to put a
resistor in series with the fan.  That would limit its maximum speed (noise
is a rapidly increasing function of rpm).  The cooling would be less, and
the thermal switch would stay "on" for a greater percentage of the time, but
the noise would be less.

You could also bypass the thermal switch and let the fan run continuously,
but more slowly.  You'd have to satisfy yourself that the PS is cool enough
under max. load and at max. ambient temperature.  You might replace the fan
with a slower, quieter model if you ran it continuously.

The on-off "bang bang" temperature controller is cheap, but rather crude.  A
proportional controller that adjusts rpm smoothly would be a lot friendlier
- similar to what you get with some computer systems.

73 Martin AA6E