[TenTec] Omni 5 Feedback

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Mon Sep 28 20:20:00 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 15:15 -0400, Howell, D. Haney wrote:
> My trusty Omni 5 has been under wraps for a few months.  When I fired it up
> recently I experienced motorboating and rumbling feedback though the
> speaker.  As the old hamfest saw goes, it was working fine the last time I
> used it!  Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?
>
> Haney
> k2xn

Usually motor boating and rumbling feed back are a sign that the power
supply bypass electrolytics have gone nearly open or have gone way down
in value. That's not only the main power supply but the various supply
voltage busses on the board.

But for a first step, to make sure the board grounds are good, tighten
all the PC board mounting screws. Then in Tentecs wiggle the cable
connectors. Or pull them off and apply a tiny bit of DeoxIT to each pin.

73, Jerry, K0CQ