[TenTec] OMNI VI VXCO help needed DK5AD

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Sun Apr 4 09:14:42 PDT 2010

On 4/4/2010 10:01 AM, knut.baczko at t-online.de wrote:

> Hello,
> hopefully somebody is able to help me.
> I have an OMNI VI, model 563. Since some time there was a chirp on 17m
> and 12m did not work at all.
> I checked the 10.000MHZ reference frequency form the crystal oven at
> connector 88 and it seemd  ok.
> Anyhow I wanted to test and turned trimmer capacitor 31. This had no
> frequency effect. At that time I did not know that I have already  the
> VXCO installed by TT when the rig was at the factory several years ago.
> But after changing capacitor 31 the follwing happened what I dont
> understand at all.

Everything is based on the 10 MHz reference directly or indirectly. What
I think you have done is messed up the 10 MHz multiplier and so killed
the synthesizer.

What you needed to have done was to have adjusted the individual band
crystals that were chirping or not working well on the crystal
oscillator board, but ONLY 17 and 12 meter, no others. Typically there's
an analog voltage from a pll that you adjust the crystal coil to center
that voltage in its working range, probably 2 or 3 volts. I don't have a
563 manual to know what the effect of C31 is. But first you have to get
the radio back working by finding the original position for C31, and
then you can fix the individual boards.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

After switching off and on again, no signals could be