[TenTec] help in soldering pl259 outside

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon Apr 5 19:37:33 PDT 2010

HEAT is the answer - ballast - I use a $50 cheapo Weller
solder station and have no problems because I use the
biggest, fattest tip available for it.   Just plain need a fat
tip.   Wattage is not the issue, but ballast.   Learned that
from a old, old, old ham who could do them in freezing
Michigan snow storms.   Amazing, but true.   My cheapo
Weller does it fine - provided I use the right tip.