[TenTec] Encoder shaft stability

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Wed Apr 14 09:21:32 PDT 2010

On 4/13/2010 6:23 PM, Phil Chambley Sr. wrote:
> I've been toying with an idea and would appreciate input from the group.
>

> Haven't had any experience with the Orions yet, but every on other T/T rig with an encoder, I've seen varying amounts of encoder shaft wobble.  If you lift up on the front of the knob, it'll move noticeably and irritatingly (at least to me).
>

> The reason for this is T/T relies on the encoder bushing alone to serve as the only bearing surface, and that single-point bearing allows lateral "wiggle".   I think we can give the encoder a two-point support with just a minimum amount of effort.
>

> What I have in mind is a circular piece of say, 1/16" Teflon sheet, about 1 ½" diameter, with a ¼" hole in the center.  Using a nibbler, cut out a bite every ¼" or so from inside of the hole so small "fingers" would be left to contact the shaft.  This would encircle and hold the shaft and still have only a minimum of surface contact area.
>

> Then attach the Teflon disc under the knob to the plastic bezel using pins or #2 machine screws.  The latter would be placed outside the track of the tension arrangement.

I think that the "support" from the teflon disk will be smaller than the
leverage you have
at the edge of the knob and so the teflon fingers will be practically
immediately deflected,
negating their benefit.

> Comments please??  Better idea anyone?

I envision a bar of aluminum with thin ends and a fat spot in the middle
supporting a bearing bushing. That bearing might be oillite, steel
backed teflon, Vespar, or a needle roller bearing assembly. Such as
McMaster-Carr catalog numbers 6391K126, 60695K61, 58315K42, or 5905K21.
These will add some friction along with the shaft support and may
require machining on the knob to give clearance. Any assembly will
interfere with the knob drag mechanism if present. A little added
friction may not hurt, giving the feel of there being some more drive
mechanism behind the knob than just a optically sensed slotted disk,
typical of the encoder is part of the wish to add a weighted knob. More
like the National Dial or gear driven variable capacitor tuners of yore
with a 25 or 50 to 1 gear reduction between the substantial knob and the
variable capacitor. Where the top end radio tuning knobs turned like
parts of precision mechanisms doing real work driving dial and capacitor
(or PTO screw) often at much different rates than the knobs turned.

> Phil C. Sr.
>
> k4dpk

73, Jerry, K0CQ